Wednesday, February 6, 2013

YSL Glossy Stain vs. Loreal Colour Riche Caresse Wet Shine Stain Review


(Left: YSL Glossy Stain)
(Right: Loreal Colour Riche Caresse Wet Shine Stain)
When I first heard about the new Loreal Colour Riche Caresse Wet  Shine Stains I had to have one! Not only because I love the YSL Glossy Stains but because it's a third of the price! I was surprised to find they are very different products. 
 


As you can see from the picture above they have very similar applicators it's a sort of flat bent shape a perfect fit for the lips. The YSL is a more fuzzier and applies more product as a result. Both of these products stain the lips and are glossy upon application however their smell, formula, opaqueness, and stain wear are different. 

The YSL has an "interesting" smell to it. I have to say every time I apply it I think of wine it's very pungent but not bad enough as say lancome's mascara's smell which does bother me. 
The Loreal smell is ok it doesn't bother me and is not as strong as the YSL.
In terms of formula the YSL is thin at first but it thickens up especially if you layer it.  Its very smooth on the lips the one I purchased is #7 Corail Aquatique which has shimmer to it and it is very fine so you can't feel it on the lips.
The Loreal is thin and thickens only just a little bit. It feels watery and slippery on the lips when you first apply it. Definately not as creamy and thick as the YSL 

The pigmination of the YSL is opaque and you can get full on color in with just two layers. And the stain is very even and lasts a long time. 
The Loreal Wet Shine Stain in at least the color I chose in #185 Lilac Forever is sheer and can be built to a medium opaqueness. So I like both products in case of pigmentation. Having something that is sheer is definitely more natural and good for day to day. But sometimes I want something with full on color too.. having variety is a girls best friend! ^_~*. So the color I chose Lilac Forever is a very natural color so the stain is not so evident on my lips and I don't find its patchy when looking closely but it's color is making that hard to determine because it is so close to my natural lip color. When doing research on the staining of the darker colors I read the best way to get an even stain is to apply it in thin layers and let each layer set. ( I don't have to do this with the YSL)

Bottom Line: I prefer the smell of the Loreal I like both the creaminess of the YSL( I think the creaminess helps the stain to apply evenly) and the wet slipperiness of the Loreal. I also like both full coverage of the YSL and the sheer-medium opaqueness of the Loreal. They both have that nice glossy shine. But if you are looking for a great stain that is even and lasts for a long time I would go with YSL. If you are looking for an inexpensive gloss with staining attributes I would suggest the Loreal version. 


(Flash used Left: Loreal Wet Stain in #185 Lilac Forever)
(Right: YSL #7 Corail Aquatique)

#185 Lilac Forever is a neutral mauve-y lip color that's very natural with iridescent shimmer
#7 Corail Aquatique is a coral red orange and its natural but bold also depending on how many layers you apply. It also has an iridescent shimmer to it.

 (Stain left behind after a couple of mins)

Pricing: YSL Glossy Stain $34.00 each
            Loreal Colour Riche Caresse Wet Shine Stain $9.99 each


 Thank you for reading!
xoxo ~ Vilavanh

No comments:

Post a Comment